Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Yet another way to combat reader's block

Image from crunchgear.com

Last week I was in a reading rut. I can't seem to finish any book I lay my hands on. I guess it was one of those moments that I had reader's block. It's a good thing though that I've discovered a great way to combat it. And it's by reading, ehem, spam.

Yes, you've read it correctly. Read spam to get out of reader's block. Here's why. Spam can be quite amusing and hilarious when you take the time to digest what they're saying. Just by reading a few of them, I learned that I won like $100 million dollars in the lottery, that my email has reached a person dying of cancer, and that this blog has received the "Nobel Prize" of blogs.

Okay, for the record, I've never bought a lottery ticket (although I've been dying to). I also don't correspond to people with cancer via email. Heck, if they have cancer, I'll give them a call or talk to them in person. And WTF is this Nobel Prize of Blogs?

And, because I do have masochistic tendencies, not only did I read spam but I actually replied to all of them. Here are some of the spam emails I replied to. (I won't bother putting "sic" anymore.)
Spam #1: This is to inform you that you have been selected for a cash prize of £1,000,000 (British Pounds) held on the 13th of July 2009 in London Uk.

My reply: Whatever...


Spam #2: I want you and your organization to always pray for me because the lord is my shephard, My happiness is that I lived a life of a worthy Christian. Whoever that Wants to serve the Lord must serve him in spirit and Truth.

My reply: Whatever...
Sometimes, I get bored and vary my replies. You know, shake things up a bit.
Spam #3: You have a fabulous website. Want to make it even grater? Contact us how we can improv your site.

My reply: Whatevs...
However, after replying to all of them, be prepared to receive a few of these spammers to respond. I think these people are clueless as hell as to the context of my using the word "whatever." Some of the replies I got were:
  • Thank you for your quick response!
  • The Lord bless you and your family for the help that you'll be extending.
  • Thank you for your interest in my offer.
  • Shalom!
Now why would reading and replying to spam cure reader's block, you ask? Because after reading 20 of them in quick succession, you'd be clamoring to read something that makes sense. Besides, even if you don't have reader's block, reading and replying to spam is one very way to kill time.


Sorry, I can't seem to think of a seque for what follows.

I've also received an award this week from a fellow blogger, Tina, at Tutu's Two Cents. Tina has these gorgeous bookshelves at her place, which I'll be posting here soon. And she's also been to Manila! Love her! Thanks again for the award, Tina!

Also, my book giveaway is still open, so email me at peter.sandico@gmail.com for your answer to my question and the book that you want.

5 comments:

Patrick said...

I still don't get how some people can get reader's block. In my case, I have to force myself not to read books otherwise I won't get anything else done for the day. Sometimes I would even say something like this to myself: 2 chapters lang ha? Wala nang extension. Heheh..

I wouldn't make a habit of replying to spam mail though if I wer you. You're just confirming that your email address is real. Expect more lottery winnings and Nigerians who need help on fund transfers. :p

Peter S. said...

Hello, Patrick! Reader's block is oh so real. I don't really force myself to read anything since that "forced" feeling isn't enjoyable.

About the spam, I know about this. Thanks anyway. You're so serious! Hehe.

Stepford Mum said...

When I get reader's block, I read chick lit -light, fluffy, entertaining. Usually works :)

Charlie said...

I have three books in progress right now and I'm reading, reading, reading, and getting nowhere slow. I'll finish something sooner or later, probably Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Angel's Game.

Michael from "A Few Minutes . . ." suggested I visit you, and I like your blog--as he put it, male book bloggers are a rare breed indeed.

My blog is not only about books, but about life too--a mixed bag, if you will.

And if you're wondering who belongs to the new mug shot on Followers, it be me.

Charlie

Peter S. said...

Hello Charlie! Thanks for visiting. I'll check out your blog too!