Monday, July 20, 2009

This goes to the top of my wish list

It rubs the lotion on its skin,
or else it gets the hose again.

I've just learned from this site that there are actual books bound using human skin. Now that is something I'd like to get my hands on. The book, titled Aurora Alegre del dichoso dia de la Gracia Maria Santissima Digna Madre de Dios, is being sold for $16,000.

Certain questions pop into my head if I do get this book. Do I put it at my beside table? How does it smell? Can I actually moisturize it? What part of the human skin did the bookmaker use?

How about you, dear reader? Would you like this on your shelf?

10 comments:

Tina said...

short answer NO, NO NO

OOO ick....I first heard of this practice when reading "People of the Book" by Geraldine Brooks.

Anonymous said...

That's just gross!

Peter S. said...

Hi Stacy and Tina! The thought that people used to do this does make you uncomfortable, doesn't it?

Portobello's coffee said...

i'd have to wrap it gauge 8 plastic. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, come to think of it, leather is off an animal's back too.

This reminds me of the Roald Dahl story "Skin"

Peter S. said...

@Portobello's coffee: Yes, all books should be wrapped in gauge 8 plastic.

Peter S. said...

Hi Blooey! Exactly!

I have to check out that Roald Dahl story though. Never heard of it.

Charlie said...

Since this book is of a religious nature, I'd bet the skin came from the author's back from flagellating (if that's a word).

Maybe you should get Dan Brown on it.

BTW, do you speak Spanish or Tagalog (or both) in addition to English?

Peter S. said...

Hi Charlie! Yes, I speak Tagalog.

Anonymous said...

"Skin" is found in Roald Dahl anthologies like Skin and other Stories, Someone Like You, Selected Stories of Roald Dahl, The Best of Roald Dahl, Tales of the Unexpected, Completely Unexpected Tales, or The Collected Short Stories of Roald Dahl

I actually like Roald Dahl's twisted short stories more than his children's books :)