Thursday, July 23, 2009

Of book clubs and contests

Man Reading a Book by Leland Holiday

I must admit that I'm looking forward to my first book club meeting this Saturday. The club will be discussing the children's books of Seuss. I'm not sure what will happen on that day, since it's unmaginable to discuss just one topic for more than 4 hours. Actually, I've been anticipating gorging on the party food more than anything else. (Oh, Peter! That is so mature of you.)

Before, I was averse to joining book clubs. I believe that reading is a solitary act and the thought of reading together as a group struck me as horrid. I also didn't feel open to having a group of people force a book on me, especially if the book is a love story (and it's written by Meyer). Well, reading is something you do by yourself, but I've accepted the fact that there can be a social dimension to reading. And this social aspect can make the reading experience more meaningful. Take this blog and others like it for example. We read the books by ourselves and yet we share our feelings about the book to other people.

You know what would be interesting to see? People fighting during a book club session. I imagine two highly opinionated groups of people flinging cuss words at one another over the supposed merits of the book. I see myself gladly pulling up a chair, just silently observing them and possibly eating popcorn. I live for that stuff. (As my good friend R. once told me, "You're not a pacifist, Peter.")

I doubt that this scenario would ever happen though. Although, I could always suggest that we discuss the entire Twilight series as the books for next month, or the oeuvre of Nicholas Sparks and Paulo Coehlo, or any self-help book for that matter. I predict, however, that my membership would be revoked and I'll forever be blacklisted from any club whatsoever.

Also...

The contest I've posted last Friday is still open. I'm still giving away books. Again, this contest is open to my Metro Manila readers only. (Julius, if you're reading this, I'll make an exception in your case. Hehe.)

9 comments:

Charlie said...

I don't doubt that arguments occur in book clubs—perhaps not over Dr. Seuss, but certainly Meyer. I hang around LibraryThing and sometimes a thread gets pretty heated. Some people are really defensive about their favorite author or book, so be on guard.

Anonymous said...

Peter, you may be onto something that has the potential to draw more guys into reading - Book Fight Club.

Only problem is that word would never get around.

sumthinblue said...

LOL@ Book Fight Club.

We do have heated debates sometimes at FFP, but it's all in good fun :)

It's great you're joining us tomorrow! We're all looking forward to meeting you :)

Peter S. said...

Hmmm... The Book Fight Club sounds to be a wonderful idea.

mental wayfarer said...

I'm sorry that you weren't able to witness any heated discussion, but you did get to sit and watch while eating popcorn. Was that good enough for your first time?:)

Peter S. said...

Hi Ajie! Yes! Thank you, guys!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Peter! Thanks for dropping by on my blog. Will explore more about yours from now on. ;)

My 2 cents on book giveaways: Luv it! Winner gets free books + blogger gets potential "return" customers on the lookout for more contests in the future. Though it should have been the blogger's writing that drew the readers' attention in the first place, but book contests are as good as publicity as any. For me though, some blogs come up with more creative/more challenging contest rules. ;)

Btw, added your blog to my blogroll under "Book-aracha".

sumthinblue said...

blogged about the discussion here: http://sumthinblue.com/all-about-seuss/

Anonymous said...

No gentlemen's agreement on books? Let the fights begin! This is funny!