Miriam Defensor-Santiago's funny book, Stupid Is Forever, is simply a compilation of all the anecdotes, pick-up lines, and jokes that made her a darling of the Filipinos. Who would've thought that senators would have a sense of humor?
Here are a few of my favorite lines from the book:
- “Miss, kutsara ka ba? Kasi papalapit ka pa lang, napanganga na ako.”
- “Mag-exchange gift tayo? Akin ka at sa iyo naman ako.”
- “Ang sabi nila, ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away.’ Kung guwapo o maganda ang doctor, ayoko na ng apple.”
- “Good news: Wala ka nang pimples! Bad news: Dahil wala nang space.”
- “Question: What is the plural form of iced tea? Answer: Bottomless iced tea.”
- “Hindi lahat ng sweet ay loyal sa ’yo. Tandaan, sweet nga ang candy, pero nakabalot naman sa plastic.”
- “Mention – Ang laki ng bahay nila, parang mention.”
- “A smart wife is one who makes sure she spends so much that her husband can’t afford another woman.”
- “If you are in a relationship, stop trying to figure out who wears the pants between the two of you. Relationships work best when both of you are not wearing pants.”
- “Marriage is not a word. It is a sentence – a life sentence.”
- “Hindi naman ako mataba eh. In fact, I’m so sexy that it overflows.”
Yes, some of these jokes aren't original, but the senator doesn't hide this fact. I guess what's funny is when she gives these jokes her acerbic spin and witty delivery. I read these funny bits on the bus, and I have to tell you that I it was a pain to keep myself from laughing out loud.
|Is stupid really forever?|
The author thinks so, especially after looking at other politicians.
What didn't work for me was the inclusion of some of her speeches which she delivered to school during their graduation and other special events. Somehow, these speeches dampened the humorous tone of the book. Thankfully, these ran for just a few pages.
I love Stupid Is Forever. It's the kind of book that you pass on to your friends. It's the book you read after a stressful day at work. It's your proof that maybe you're misunderstood because the people around you are, well, stupid.
Read this book if:
- You could use a good laugh.
- You know that some politicians are not the smartest people on the planet.
- You do believe that stupidity can't be cured.