Thursday, July 16, 2009

A favorite from the past

As I write this entry on this rainy evening, I'm suddenly in the mood for a really scary novel. I scoured through my shelves looking for that perfect read this chilly night. And I happily came across my all-time favorite horror novel -- Stephen King's Salem's Lot.

I read Salem's Lot when I was in high school, during a phase when I wouldn't read anything unless it was by Stephen King. I think King came out with his best works during the early point of his career -- Thinner, The Shining, The Stand, Pet Sematary, Cujo, and Christine. Some of his short story collections, such as Night Shift and Skeleton Crew, are also good reads. These are perfect for people who want to be given a quick jolt of fear.

I stopped reading King after I've finished Gerald's Game and Rose Madder. These novels didn't have an ounce of creepiness and shock value of the vampires of Salem's Lot, the risen dead of Pet Sematary, and even the aliens of The Tommyknockers.

Up to this day, I think Salem's Lot is the Scariest. Novel. Ever.

10 comments:

mental wayfarer said...

Mine's Misery. Crazy-scary people terrify me more than vampires, ghosts, etc., because there's a greater chance that i'll come across one of those.*shiver*

Unknown said...

You know it's funny that King is my all time favorite and I have read tons of his books and yet not Salem's Lot. I do own it and I know I will get to it sooner or later. So far my favorite book of his is The Stand and even though it's more philosophical and less creepy, Bag of Bones

Charlie said...

Salem's Lot scored low on my creep-o-meter the first time I read it, but a closer reading the second time put the needle over in the 8 and 9 range. Perhaps I'm easier to scare nowadays, or I've become a better reader.

I also enjoyed Needful Things, the one where Castle Rock became a lot less . . . Rockish.

BTW, how was your Spam pancake in the photo?

Anna said...

I haven't read anything by Stephen King, and I must remedy that. On one hand, I'm afraid his books will be too scary, but on the other hand, I really want to be scared!

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Patrick said...

I haven't read any Stephen King book yet but I liked the movie for this book. Dunno if you guys who read it liked the adaptation though.

Peter S. said...

@mental wayfarer: I love Misery too! You'll get to meet a crazy person on the 25th.

@lilly: You should read Salem's Lot. I love The Stand too.

@charlie: I don't have any strong feelings about Needful Things. Although I love it when one of the characters repeatedly says, "Come, and won't you leave some of the happiness you bring."

@Anna: You can start with King's short stories. You'll really like them.

@Patrick: I haven't seen the latest adaptation of Salem's Lot since I heard really horrid things about it. However, I absolutely went crazy with the first adaptation. I believe it came out the 1980s. It's as creepy as hell.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter, I'll let you know how my reading goes this week.

Also, you have an award waiting for you here.

Peter S. said...

Thanks, Michael! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr.Peter! I'm a budding Stephen King fan. I blogged the two books of his that I read so far.

Thank you for being a fellow horro fan. I somehow feel "validated" that I'm not the only horror aficionado her in our country.

Dark nights and creepy wonders! ;D

Anonymous said...

Hi Kyusireader! :)

I like your blog so much, after being redirected from jzhunaveg's blog. :) And yes, I am a HUGE Stephen King fan--no, actually, I consider him as my Not-So-Secret Lover. I collect his books, and recently I blogged about my collection. Actually, I bragged about it.

Re: your Bookshelf Project, I want to send mine! However it's already posted here: http://longlivejudyism.wordpress.com/2010/10/06/my-not-so-secret-lover/

Please notify me of anything about the Bookshelf Project.
Thanks! :)