Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A slice of horror

I'm in the mood for a horror novel. I want to read something really scary -- the kind that forces you to sleep with the lights on.

I've grown up reading the works of Stephen King, Peter Straub, and Clive Barker. I've outgrown King and Straub, and I've been disappointed with Mister B. Gone, Barker's latest horror novel for adults.

In case you do find yourself wanting to read scary stuff, here's a short list of horror novels that really scared the hell out of me.

  1. Salem's Lot and Night Shift by Stephen King
  2. Ghost Story and Shadowland by Peter Straub
  3. The Books of Blood and Weaveworld by Clive Barker
  4. The Other by Thomas Tryon
  5. I Am Legend and Hell House by Richard Matheson
  6. The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
  7. Swan Song by Robert McCammon
  8. Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite
  9. Heart-shaped Box by Joe Hill
  10. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
  11. The Secret of Crickley Hall by James Herbert

What about you, dear reader? Any scary books that you'd like to recommend? List them in the comments section.

7 comments:

Stepford Mum said...

The Exorcist! I'm not a horror movie watcher but found an hardbound first edition of this (no dust jacket though) for a song at Booksale. I read it and it freaked me out so much I couldn't sleep for about 2 nights (despite the fact that I share a bed with my husband and infant son!) So I gave the book away.

sumthinblue said...

Have you read the Historian? The last time I read it I was all alone in the house all week and I had to sleep with the lights on!

Peter S. said...

Hi Blooey! Yes, I've read The Historian! I loved it! It's very atmospheric.

Mac Callister said...

im not much of a reader but i read twilight saga and the da vinci code hehe maybe if i lose internet i will go back to reading books hehe

Maan Samson said...

coraline is scary, too. :)

Dave said...

I'm with you on The Other, an under-apprciated book. How about going baclk to Poe on the 200th anniversary of his birth. Stories such as the Telltale Heart still carry a punch.

Anonymous said...

I'm adding your recommendations, except Joe Hill and Stephen King, to my Shelfari wishlist. Somehow, I've missed these authors!