Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A pleasant surprise


I've been having an attack of the reader's block again this weekend, so I decided to arrange the books that I have on my TBR pile. I've noticed that my TBR pile hasn't grown as much during the last few days. I checked my calendar for any books that I have bought recently (I'm OC that way) and, much to my surprise, I realized that I haven't bought any new ones in the last two months! Woohoo!

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this at all, especially with my new job that requires me to work some very unusual hours. And I've now come to the conclusion that work does indeed get in the way of reading. Wouldn't it be great to get a job that lets you read the books all the books that you like and pay good money for reading them? Isn't that a book lover's wet dream?

Anyway, I haven't always been comfortable with the idea of being in a self-imposed no-book-buying rule, although I did attempt these in the past with some success. This is the first time, however, that I unconsciously went through several weeks without buying any new books. The feeling is very gratifying, especially after counting all the money I've virtually saved.

Diane at her blog challenges book bloggers to read books that are already in their shelves. I'm not big on reading challenges, but I think I'll check this one out.

15 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Hi Peter! I think Diane's challenge will be good for me. I have such awesome reads that I would love to get too....but a review is always calling me. I am not complaining (well... maybe a little)... I just need to practice a balance between the new review ones... and some of the treasures waiting for me on the shelves.

Anonymous said...

I have been testing myself through November as a trial in case I give up book buying for a year for charity next year. I have found it very, very tough. Best way of doing it is utter avoidance of book shops!!!

Jeane said...

I just love that photo!

serendipity_viv said...

Well done on your unconscious book ban. I have had to stop buying them in order to give everyone an opportunity to buy me books for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Books are hard to resist. Good for you that you have been resisting the obsession of book buying...at least for awhile :)

SariJ said...

Early in 2009 I vowed to stop buying books as part of my campaign to pay of my credit cards. I have a nice TBR pile so I thought this would be a great way to read through my pile. Who knew the library would have so many new books to borrow? I have yet to make a dent in my pile, but I do know my local librarians by name.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter! Bravo for you! You've got a distraction from buying temptations. Let's hope it doesn't come back full force once you step inside a bookstore again. LOL!

Thanks for the heads up on Diane's challenge. I need something like this to reduce my pile!

Anonymous said...

This must be very hard! When I used to work in a bookstore, I had to impose bans on myself all the time. It's like trying to abstain from drinking when you work in a bar ~

Charlie said...

I joined Diane's challenge a couple weeks ago. Except for new "must-reads", I'm going to whittle away at my TBR during 2010--my early New Year's Resolution.

Anonymous said...

Whoa Peter!

You really are dedicated to reading! I mean, I wouldn't have thought of filling in calendar dates with memos about books bought, read, etc. By the way, what's TBR? He! He!

Krista said...

Good luck with the challenge! I know what you mean... I haven't bought a book in quite sometime as I have way too many TBR books... :)

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well! :)

LoF said...

i got through quite a stack in the last week... and i am almost finished reorganizing and refiling my entire collection. just have two more sections to clean up...

Alexia561 said...

Peter, if you ever find that job that pays you to read all the books you like, be sure to hire me!

Mark David said...

You literally write down the books you buy in your calendar? Wow, that really is OC ;)

I too was happy to narrow down my TBR pile during these recent months. However, the need to buy books soon got the better of me and lately I've noticed that my TBR pile is now back to over 30 books. The problem I think is this compulsion to get a book immediately when I find it interesting, even if I know beforehand that it won't be any time soon that I'd actually pick it up. Usually though I'd run through the first couple of pages on the day that I bought it, but it could still take months (or over a year, in some cases) before I get back to them. I have to really be in the mood for a particular book for me to read it. And there's like 25 books in my TBR pile that I'm just not in the mood for today (although tomorrow it might be different). I'm guessing many readers are somewhat like this as well :)

The last book I bought is Niccolo Machiavelli's The Prince, about 10 minutes ago here in Glorieta. I'll be using it as a temporary substitute to the intimidatingly thick War And Peace by Leo Tolstoy :D Have you read The Prince?