Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Word gets around

I find it tricky when people ask me, "So which books should I read next?" Most of the time, I don't answer with just one book, but with a list of titles. And usually, this list is variedfrom YA to adult, from obscure titles to this season's bestsellers.

The thing is, I never really follow through on whether these people actually bother to check out the books that I mentioned. Or if they've read these books, whether they liked them or not. I'm all for spreading positive word-of-mouth, but to force books down other people's throats? Absolutely not my thing.

Every once in a while though, some of my friends would keep in touch saying how much they enjoyed the book that I reviewed here. And, honestly, it feels good to know about their positive feedback.

Some friends would even go out of their way to buy the book, take a picture of it, and tag me on Facebook! Yay! Snaps to supporting your local bookstores! (I'm doing my happy dance!)

Two months ago, I gushed over Madeline Miller's debut novel, The Song of Achilles, which I heard has now won the Orange Prize. Two of my friends decided to check it out and ended up really, really liking it. Check out their FB posts below. (Click on the pictures to enlarge.)



And they're even encouraging their online friends to read it! Ah, Facebook, this makes it so difficult to quit you. Anyway, thank you, dear Facebook friend and blog reader, for tagging me. It's always a pleasure to look at your book purchases!

P.S. Dear reader, if you want to see my mindless status updates, friend me at Facebook. Just search for 'Peter Sandico'.

P.P.S. A huge thanks to Orly and Bookie for allowing me to take screenshots of their pictures. Like books, one can never have too many friends.

13 comments:

Monique said...

I'm also going to read Song of Achilles based on your recommendation, and I promise to give you feedback on how I found it. :D

Peter S. said...

Hello, Monique! I certainly hope that you'll like it as much as my friends and I did!

Stepford Mum said...

Your status updates are far from mindless, Peter, and this book has been on my wishlist too since reading your review. I'm just waiting for it to go on sale at the Kindle store :)

Jack Tyler said...

You have such a wide range of interests that I doubt anyone can just pick up a book you recommend and be guaranteed to like it. However, I have begun to learn how to read your reviews and recognize where our tastes overlap, and if you've been by the Hideout anytime recently, you know that I'm reading a Mistborn, a book you recommended. I'm enjoying it so much that I will be reading the whole trilogy without interruptions. Thanks for that one, my friend. I'll not soon forget it!

Peter S. said...

Hello, Stepford Mum! I can't wait to hear your thoughts about this book!

Hi, Jack! Wow, Mistborn! Woot woot! Brandon Sanderson rocks!

Kaz said...

Well, I don't know about your FB status updates, because I haven't stalked you there, but if they are small relations to your blog posts, my sense is they'd be far from mindless!

I've had a friend asking me recently for book suggestions. Because I know her well, and because I know she's going through a quite stressful period, I put her onto L.M. Montgomery's 'Anne' books. She called me the other night - she's onto the second one now and loving them. In return, she's directed me to Joanne Harris' books (Chocolat etc), which I am gobbling up - they've moved me on from my recent Wyndham jag! (last Wyndham post for a bit went up last night, BTW)

I'm also in the business of converting DB to a book junkie - he says (after positively eating a book I gave him - fastest I've ever seen him read a book) he's now on his L plates!

Doesn't matter how people come to books - as long as they're reading, I reckon!

Peter S. said...

Hello, Kaz! Good luck on your conversion of the DB!

Ryan said...

I've also succumbed to the peer pressure and purchased The Song of Achilles. I must admit that I'm actually excited to read it.

Peter S. said...

Ryan, it's very, very good!

Jonathan Wilhoit said...

Song of Achilles looks awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

I'm kind of like you about book recommendations. I can generally say what I liked, but not everyone's taste in books is the same, so how can you accurately predict what they'll like? But it seems like you're still getting it done. Kudos to you.

Thanks for the follow, by the way. Stop by and say howdy any time. It's great to have met you. Love the blog, and can't wait to hear more from you.

Peter S. said...

Hi, Jonathan! Nice to see you on the boards!

Orly said...

It's nice to have someone like you around, Peter. I'd never know how Wednesday Wars, OK for Now, The Song of Achilles, among many others, would have changed my reading experience this year without you.

I'm currently reading The Neverending Story. It's a surprisingly amazing read! Despite it being translated from its original German text, the translation is superb, and the form (the A-Z chapters) are consistently followed.

Thank you, friend for your recommendations. I hope that time will come you'd get recommendations from me too!

Which reminds me: are you joining our next Shakespeare challenge for July? The selection is Taming of the Shrew. Let me know if you'll join us.

Peter S. said...

Orly! Yes, I'll be joining you, guys!