Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Wishing the caterpillar many more years


Eric Carle's most popular children's book The Very Hungry Caterpillar turned 40 this month! Eric Carle's artistic vision that started with this book will forever be unique. When you open Carle's books, his unique color palette and the chunky shapes will immediately demand your attention. His use of circular cutouts in almost ever page is just too elegant and beautiful. Carle himself seems like a character from a children's book; he reminds me of Gepetto. Read more about Carle here.

Carle's books are enduringly popular. When I was working for a book publishing house, our preschool authors kept referring to Carle's style when we had brainstorming sessions concerning artistic directions for the preschool books. Coming up with unique drawing styles for books was much harder than we thought.

In celebration of the book's 40th anniversary, people at Google came out with a Carle-inspired theme for their home page. Which reminds me -- I have to get Eric Carle books for my 2-year-old niece. I've been buying her mostly Dora the Explorer books lately.

0 comments: