Monday, March 9, 2009

Watching the Watchmen


I finally got to see Watchmen this weekend. And I think that, for the most part, the adaptation of the graphic novel worked! Everything was visually stimulating, yet there's none of the auditory damage assault you'd come to expect from movies with apocalyptic themes. All the actors seem to have read the brilliant graphic novel. Patrick Wilson who plays Night Owl is a dream; he looks good in every movie that he's been in. Too bad his Night Owl costume didn't show enough skin. (And I think it was padded, since I don't recall seeing him that hunky.)

I couldn't stop myself from looking for my Watchmen graphic novel when I got home. Except for that missing 8-legged monster at the ending, the screenwriters got everything to a T. I loved every moment of the movie -- it's brutal, sexy, dirty, and beautiful. These are the things that made me fell in love with the graphic novel in the first place. I'm not particularly too keen about superhero graphic novels and, Watchmen, despite the superhero theme, isn't your typical story about mutants people in spandex. They don't even have powers, except for Mr. Manhattan and his non-threatening blue wang.

The finest performance, however, goes to Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach. His performance holds the movie together in one beautifully cohesive, cinematic experience. Malin Ackerman is perfect as Silk Spectre II. Although I can't seem to take my mind off her recurring role in Entourage and that pathetic movie with Ben Stiller. Apparently, Ackerman isn't a big fan of her Silk Spectre II costume. She says, "When you take it off, it smells like a human condom." (Question: When you put on a condom over a glowing blue wang, does the wang still glow?)

Sidebar

There was a couple seated at our back who kept talking loudly during the movie. It was just so rude that I couldn't help myself shouting at them "Can you talk outside?!!!" That shut them up. What I can't understand though is how the people seated next to them, while being obviously annoyed at this couple's moronic behavior, don't have the balls to tell them to zip their mouths. I guess we're just too polite to a fault.

0 comments: