Friday, October 11, 2013

Filipino Friday 2013 #1: An introduction


Filipino Fridays, the only blog meme that I participate in, is back! This wonderful online event is actually part of the activities leading to this year's Filipino ReaderCon, which is happening next month. If you're in Manila on Saturday, 9 November, then I highly suggest that you drop by. There'll be panel discussions with authors and you'd get to meet book bloggers and your fellow bookworms.

There'll be 5 Filipino Friday posts, and this post kicks it off. It's all about introductions! This time, they wanted to shake things up a little bit. So instead of us bloggers just rambling about our love for books and what-not, they asked us to answer this question: What species of book reader are you? Which leads me to the infographic by Laura E. Kelly. See below. (You can click on the image to enlarge it.)

Image source
Oy, the details in this infographic! I die. It then occurred to me how difficult it is to describe my reading habits. I'm all of these: book preserver, book worshipper, hoarder, compulsive book buyer, promiscuous reader, omnireader, sharer screamer, and book clubber.

Also, I think of myself as being "free range." I have an issue with that term actually. It reminds me of organic poultry. Think free-range chickens. Anyway, I do believe that I read almost anything, and I don't really see myself as a genre reader.

Some of my friends see me as a book snob. When I hear this, I tell them one thing: I've read Fifty Shades of Grey, yes, the entire trilogy. I've had my fill of  stories involving spanking, ripped dresses, sex toys, and kinky role play, and I have no qualms sharing them with people who are willing to listen. Bring it on! Now that usually leaves them speechless.

I guess it doesn't really matter what "species" of book reader one is, no? Besides, I hate labels. But if there's one label that I want my big fat ass to be associated with, it's being a reader. Reading rocks. And readers rule.


8 comments:

Jinky said...

My ass is flat so this full-bellied woman would like to be associated as a reader too!

Hmm, you've had your fill and have no qualms of sharing ..what? The toys, experience,??? ;)

Peter S. said...

Oh, sharing the stories! That's what I meant! Will re-edit for clarity. Thanks, Jinky!

Unknown said...

I agree. Readers rule! :)

Peter S. said...

Yup, yup! :-)

Jeane said...

I was curious to read the graphic and see which "category" my reading fits into, but clicking on it did not make it much larger. Is there somewhere else it can be viewed?

Peter S. said...

Hi, Jeane. Check out this link:

http://www.laura-e-kelly.com/creative-work/infographics/reader-species/

Jeane said...

Ok, that was fun! I'm definitely in the "compulsive" family but within that fit so many descriptions: comfort reader, omni-reader, travelling reader, re-reader, book rescuer, sleepy-bedtime reader, hoarder and library lover and OCD about my books but preserve them, too. Ha ha.

Peter S. said...

Oh, we're almost the same! Hehehehehe.