Sunday, August 4, 2013

Girl gone a-cuckoo


Ah, Rosamund Pike. You underrated British actress you. I can't wait to see you wow everyone in the big screen adaptation of Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl. You'd kill them all (pun intended). Blonde, sexy, and so talented–you're a natural for the part. I'm so happy they didn't go for the cookie cutter Hollywood actress. Rosamund Pike, it's your time to shine. But first, let's talk about the book.

I read my first Gillian Flynn thriller years ago, a dark Southern gothic entitled Sharp Objects. Then I read my second–Dark Places, and I also wasn't disappointed. With Gone Girl, I am on a Gillian Flynn high. Yes, all the raves and hype are merited. Gone Girl is pure mess-up-your-head, who-is-the-more-reliable-narrator, wait-until-you-get-to-the-twisted-ending fun.

The gone girl in the novel is Amy, whom Rosamund Pike will be playing. She's married to 34-year-old Nick. Nick and Amy now live in a small town in Missouri, after having been both laid off from their jobs in New York City. Nick decides to return to his hometown to care for his mother, essentially removing his moneyed and beautiful wife from her NYC roots. Gone Girl is written in chapters where we read the alternating points of view of Nick and Amy.

In the novel's first part, I have basically made up my mind that it was Nick who did it. You see, Amy has gone missing on the couple's 5th anniversary. Nick has a few skeletons up his sleeve: the very young mistress, his unexplained whereabouts on the morning of his wife's disappearance, and the enormous credit card bills, to name a few. And it doesn't help that Amy, in the chapters written as diary entries, comes off as one sweet, self-sacrificing wife who seems to be getting more and more afraid for her life because of Nick's violet tendencies recently.

But in the second part of Gone Girl, Flynn throws us a curveball. Amy might not be right in the head after all. The disappearance could have been the result of months of meticulous planning on Amy's part. All right, I'll say it–Nick could have been framed. What happens after that can be likened to a slow burn, a deep and satisfying unravelling of the fucked up mind of Amy and the lengths that she can go to punish her husband. Yes, she knows about the affair and she's determined not to just grin and bear it.

Gone Girl is so wonderful in its portrayal of a sick mind that you forget how slow it can be in the first few chapters. One wonders if Gillian Flynn can top this. Her novels just seem to get better and better. But before the next Flynn thriller hits the bookstores, I'm ecstatic that there's the movie to look forward to. And, Rosamund Pike!

Read this book if:
  1. You're a big fan of twisted endings in thrillers.
  2. You love the slow burn.
  3. You think it's a must to read the book first before the book comes out.

9 comments:

Tin said...

I love this book! The storytelling is tense, taut and just really suspenseful and twisted. I am excited for the movie as well! Yay for Rosamund Pike! She is lovely. :D

Peter S. said...

Lovely is such an understatement, in my opinion. Hehehehehehe. Thanks, Tin!

Monique said...

Okay that does it. I'm reading Gone Girl before the years is over.

Buti na lang August pa lang. HEEE. :D

Peter S. said...

I'm sure you'll love it, Monique!

caite said...

oh my, did not know this was going to be a movie...excellent and can not wait.

Peter S. said...

Hello, caite! Me too! Excited as hell!

Lynai said...

Hi Peter! This has been one of my best reads of the year, and I'm glad there's a movie coming out soon. :)

Peter S. said...

Hello, Lynai! It's one of my best reads for this year too, so far.

Tracie Nelson said...

I am reading this book right now and it is very intense! The lead characters are so different and interesting at the same time!