Monday, December 28, 2015

My best reads for 2015

Well, well, well . . . it's that time of the year again. This year though hasn't been a great year for reading, numbers-wise. Lots of personal things happened, and work has been terribly demanding this year. Plus, I've been busy with two hobbies: coloring and calligraphy. (More on those two on the next post.)

I say it hasn't been great because normally, I would be finishing 50 books at the least by the end of the year. This year, it's a measly number. Not even 30! But there's still next year, yes? And those books will always be here—by my bedside, on my office desk, in my bag, in the bathroom, and on my ipod (hello, audiobooks!).

So here are my favorite reads this year, dear readers. I must say that this list has surprised even me. It's probably my most eclectic list ever.


I read a lot of graphic novels this year. I devoured the love story of Arnold Arre's Halina Filipina in one sitting. Scott McCloud's Sculptor is one heartbreaking read. Ryan Inzana's Ichiro is like a throwback to the good old days of comics, and it's heavy on Japanese mythological elements.

Of course, there will be novels. Edan Lepucki's California is what dystopian novels should be. I was transfixed at the two intersecting story lines of All the Birds, Singing by Evie Wyld. I have a few unfinished novels beside me, but I don't think that I'll get any more reading done before the year ends.

The stories in Emily Carroll's Through the Woods appealed to my horror and Gothic sensibilities. It's also a very beautiful book, with the hand-drawn elements that appear on every page. I never felt so conflicted about turning a page.

And then there are the odd balls. Kate Beaton's Step Aside, Pops, which is part of the Hark, A Vagrant! collection is such a gas. The strips feel like one comedy sketch after another. Austin Kleon's Steal Like an Artist is an interesting addition to this list. I included it here because of the author's interesting take on creativity, and what it takes to make your own art.

So there you go, dear readers. I wish you a happy 2016. Here's to more books!

8 comments:

Orly said...

Wow! I finally have a new list for next year's reading list! Thank you for this, Peter!

Peter S. said...

Hello, Orly! You're very much welcome. I'm looking forward to your list as well!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this :) Happy Holidays :)

Peter S. said...

Hi, Simon! You're welcome!

Rob said...

Great list. I'll be keeping an eye out for these. Hoping to read Sculptor soon actually. Happy New Year!

Tin said...

I enjoyed reading Arnold Arre's Mythology Class last 2015. So without a doubt, I will put Halina Filipina on my list. And am also taking note of everything on this list (Through The Woods and Scupltor, I have herad of). And will you look at the striking cover of All the Birds, Singing. Here's to an awesome 2016 Peter!

Peter S. said...

Hi, Rob! Happy new year to you too!

Hello, Tin! All the Birds, Singing is probably my best read of 2015.

Yan (From FFP) said...

Great list Peter! Where'd ya get the Emily Carroll and Kate Beaton books?