Monday, July 21, 2014

The book club goes to the circus

Last weekend, the book club held our monthly book discussion on Erin Morgenstern's magical debut novel, The Night Circus. I read the book back in 2011 when it first came out. When I reread it last week, it hasn't lost any of its magic. Most of the members liked The Night Circus, and it was interesting to hear their thoughts about it.

I haven't attended the last 3 discussions held by the book club, so I was really looking forward to this one. These people have become close friends, and to say that I miss them would be an understatement. As always, I had a grand time last Saturday. And as always, we ended up talking to each other until late in the evening.

I'm sharing pics that R. took last Saturday, dear reader. You can click on each one to enlarge. Thanks, R., for taking these beautiful photos.

The bookmark
That's me in the background.
Who looks awkward in a red scarf? Yeah, me.
Lia and Anne: the very capable moderators.
They asked us to come in black or white, with a red accent or accessory.
Props to you, Lia and Anne! It was a great discussion!
The candy buffet supplied by Ella, one of the members
At the far left are the loot bags, which had chocolates and other sweet stuff.
Unfortunately, as I swore off sweets altogether, I had to give mine to R.
With my good friend, Jan
I believe Jan helped spruce up the room to get that circus-y feel.
Don't you love Jan's black-and-white ensemble?
Lia and Anne prepared slides for the discussion. Talk about being prepared!
I had fun answering most of the questions they posed to the group,
although I did get a few details incorrectly. Argh! I'm really getting old!
My requisite shot with the book
My book is the international edition of a hardback.
No mass markets yet when I bought it in 2011.
From topleft going clockwise: Haze, Jewel, Doc Cecille, and Michelle
Michelle absolutely loved The Night Circus, giving it a 5/5 rating.
I love Doc Cecille's expression! So fierce!
With Marie, another good friend from the club
Marie brought 2 of her friends to the discussion.
I hope I see them in the next few months.
Sana with her new hair-do
I love Sana's red accessory.
Although, we couldn't remember what exactly it is called!
That's Sheila, and that's me talking to Kelly at the back.
I love Sheila's new figure!
We at the book club believe that she has no pores too.
Pretty ladies: Jan, Marie, and Ajie
Marie makes hats, and Ajie is a craft goddess.
The book club has gorgeous members, yes?
Kelly, R., and me
It was Kelly's first time to attend a discussion.
I'm glad I finally met her! Oh, she's also a book blogger.
All the happy faces!
I believe most of the members gave the book a rating of 3/5 or higher.
Well, who doesn't love the circus?
Post-Its galore!
I forget whose book this was. So OC!
I can't imagine myself ever putting Post-Its on my books.
Me and R.
He's the default photographer of the book club.
And my favorite person in the whole world!
Darwin brought his 8-month-old niece to the discussion.
So well-behaved, the little girl was.
I sure hope that she grows up to be a bookworm like his uncle.
The book that's always in my weekend tote bag
I just came from my Italian class that day.
My Italian teacher has no love for this book though. He thinks it's cheating!
We ended up in a Thai restaurant after the discussion.
Here we are joined by Jeeves and Joko (far right).
Yes, I know, we eat out a lot.
Happy stuffed people
We're the group that ordered 6 different kinds of Thai dishes.
As I'm on a strict meal plan, I had to exercise some restraint and do portion control.

4 comments:

Monique said...

Look at that, a very defined jawline! Looking good, Peter! :)

Oh, and I'm looking forward to go to the Circus, too. :D

Peter S. said...

Shucks! Kaka-conscious! Thanks, Monique!

Louize DG said...

You look amazing, Peter!♥

The discussion must have been really vibrant, same with the photos!

Peter S. said...

Thanks, Louize!

Yes, it really was very, very vibrant! Very circus-y!