- Some people come for the food. If you're moderating, pick a good restaurant. You'll get great feedback.
- Members will "defend" their favorite books up for discussion. It's almost like a war really. When this happens, I just sit back and stuff myself silly.
- I can fart when there's a heated debate. No one will notice.
- Remember the "plus one" rule. When you say 2 pm, people would show up at 3.
- Some people write notes on Post-Its and attach them on the pages of the book. The book appears literally bursting with these little pieces of paper. I find it best to seat myself away from them as far as possible.
- If the discussion is in a restaurant, paying for the bill is a living hell. Too much mathematics going on just to settle it. Tell the waiter beforehand to have your order listed separately. You'll appear aloof, yes, but you'll save yourself the hassle.
- After the discussion, people would stay and talk for a few minutes in little groups. It can be quite noisy. (Of course, they're just waiting for someone to suggest where to have dinner.)
- Those who say that they're "Maybe Attending" will NOT come.
- Those who say that they're "Attending" will PROBABLY come.
- Saying that you can't attend because you haven't read the book is lame. Trust me, you can pull it off. Google is your friend.
My Spring Walk Down the Arkansas River, East Bank
12 hours ago